What Is ALA-MA?
OUR APPLICATION FOR THE 2019-2020 PROGRAM YEAR IS NOW OPEN!
Each year AmeriCorps Legal Advocates of Massachusetts places college and law school graduates in legal services organizations throughout Massachusetts. ALA-Massachusetts advocates serve full-time for a total of 1,700 hours over 46 weeks, from mid-September through the end of July. Advocate benefits for the 2019-2020 year include:
- A $26,000 taxable living stipend
- Health insurance
- A $6,095 education award upon completion of service
- The ability to place eligible student loans in forbearance with interest paid upon completion of service
- Child care assistance, if eligible
- Hands-on, supervised exposure to the practice of poverty law
- A national service experience.
ALA-Massachusetts advocates are placed to serve at different partner sites throughout Massachusetts. Placements are in most civil law practice areas, including housing, immigration, income maintenance, health and mental health law, elder law, and family law. Members are supervised by legal professionals and are exposed to a range of activities, including client communications, eligibility determinations, case management, legal research and writing, and hearings. ALA-Massachusetts advocates also have the opportunity to do community outreach and education. For more information about member responsibilities, see our Detailed Position Description.
Our members have a wide range of training opportunities throughout the year. See the video below for a description of our training curriculum.